wordgroupz development news

Lately, I worked on fine tuning the code for wordgroupz. I fixed some bugs that I was aware of, like unable to parse data retrieved from wiktionary pages which did not have any ‘Contents’ field, error launching games when no words in db, some bugs in webster view, etc. Now, I have added a dialog which will show a message saying ‘Not enough data’ if the number of words in the db are not enough for playing games. I have also added support for parsing data from wiktionary pages which have no ‘Contents’ field. Also made some fixes in the webster view.

I today updated the RPM for wordgroupz to wordgroupz-0.3b-4.fc13.noarch.rpm

You can install the latest version of wordgroupz as follows:

1) download rtnpro.repo into /etc/yum.repos.d/

2) then as root, do :

yum install wordgroupz

You can also get the source code from http://gitorious.org/wordgroupz/

Please test wordgroupz, and feel free to drop in your suggestions.

wordGroupz development News

Although, I had added  the accuracy for the words in wordGroupz in the treeview, it was not satisfactory. First, the app crashed whenever I added a new word to the database. I fixed that easily. But then, the new word would show its accuracy as 0% even before attempting to answer it. I decided to set the CellRendererProgress bar text to ‘New’ for new/not attempted words.

I got some help for IRC Nick: Juhaz at #pygtk in GimpNet. I came to know that set different properties of a cell for a particular column in a gtk.TreeView, I have to set a function in gtk.TreeViewColumn.set_cell_data_func(). I got further help from the documentation at Develp in Fedora.

Finally, after some tries, I got the code up and running. Now new words show ‘New’ and after being attempted, they show their respective accuracy.

I also wrote some code to enable migration from old wordgroupz db schema to new db schema with retention of the old db contents.

I have pushed the latest code to gitorious.

If you want to try the code, you can get the source from http://gitorious.org/wordgroupz . Then, you can install wordgroupz in your system as:

#python setup.py install

Then run wordgroupz : $wordgroupz

Now, I need to do a code cleanup.

wordGroupz development news

wordGroupz is now slowly moving to the version 0.3 release. I launched the v0.3 b quite some time back. Since then, I have worked on many new features, adding features, deprecating old features and many random changes. In this time, wordgroupz underwent a considerable upgrade in its GUI. Based on the outcome of the games, I decided to store the accuracy of the user for each word and show a bar chart for that. But that did not look good. So, I dropped it. I, instead, showed the accuracy % alongside the words in the wordgroupz tree view with the help of gtk.CellRendererProgressBar.

I did away the wiktionary browser, edit button under notes, back button over the search bar, etc.

Now, I am testing the code, and fine tuning the interface. Gotta work 🙂

More wordgroupz screenshots are available at :

http://rtnpro.fedorapeople.org/wordgroupz_imgs/

Here are the latest screenshots of wordgroupz:

wordgroupz development news

Finally got time to write this post.

I’ve been a lot busy lately. Had to do some changes in wordgroupz.
I was working on the output display format for wordgroupz, i.e, how to show the definitions stored in the wordgroupz database. I created a policy that whenever a word is added, wordgroupz will fetch its definition from the default “Wordnet” dictionary. Then one has the option to search for more of the word’s details on wiktionary from within wordgroupz. Once the wiktionary page is viewed online, the wiktionary data is saved in the database.
I have implemented a tabbed design for viewing the details of the word: one for wordnet and the other for wiktionary, till now. I have to expand it for webster as well. A few extra lines of code will do that. The rest remains the same.
Below are the screenshots of the new tabbed view:
Wordnet output
Wiktionary Output View

Then, I started working on the games frontend. I took inspiration from kwordquiz. I put the flash card and the multiple-choice-question in a tabbed view. I am also recording the number of correct responses given along with the attempts made on a particular word in both the games : flash-card and MCQ. This will help the user to identify the words that are difficult to remember for him. Thus, he can pay more attention on those words. Below are the screenshots for the games module.
Flash-Card
MCQ
Have to improve the GUI for games. The functional code is almost done. Now, remains beautification.
I request readers of this blog to give their kind suggestions to make the UI better.
To test the games module, you can do :
$git clone git://gitorious.org/wordgroupz/wordgroupz.git
$cd wordgroupz
$python wordgroupz.py
Note: Now you can add some words to wordgroupz
Note: run the games module
$python games.py

The post is brought to you by lekhonee-gnome v0.9

Resuming work on wordgroupz

For some days, I have not been able to work on wordgroupz. I was sufferring from fever. Apart from that, I came back to Durgapur yesterday. I am, kind of, well now. 

Now, I started working on the saving the various details from wiktionary. Still having some problems regarding customizing wiktionary view. Some trivial issues like :
* webkit.WebView.load_string(), the backward_forward list doesn’t work nicely. Rather, if you jump to a new link, you cannot come back to the original load_string page.
* opening and editing html with beautifulsoup disables the javascripts.

The post is brought to you by lekhonee-gnome v0.9