System Specifications :
hp compaq 6515b,business series
processor-AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology
tl-50,clk rate 1600 mhz
Video card features ATI Radeon X1250
Video Memory Shared video memory (UMA)
Max Allocated RAM Size 512.0 MB
Problem with the Graphical User Interface. System used to hang a lot. Moving and clicking with the mouse was a pain. Even there was a latency to browse the application menu. Firefox won’t run nicely. System usage was normal. System ran fine in CLI.
Suspected problem : Lack of ATI driver.
Measures taken :
*Installed Fedora 10
*Did ssh login to the target system from my laptop to do the post installation setup.
* Installed the basic codecs, kernel packages and other necessary packages to make a kernel module from my local repo.
* Configured rpmfusion on the system.
* Did the following as root :
* yum –enablerepo=rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing install akmod-fglrx xoiorg-x11-drv-fglrx xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-libs.i386
* Xorg -configure :1
* aticonfig –initial -f
* Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf :
* Add the following sections or edit accordingly :
Option “Composite” “Enable”
Option “AIGLX” “on”
Add the following lines to the Device Section
Option “OpenGLOverlay” “off”
Option “VideoOverlay” “on”
* mv /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img.backup
mkinitrd -v /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`
* Edit the grub.conf file to add “nopat” and “nomodeset” as kernel arguments.
* Reboot the system. akmod will build the kmod-fglrx for the concerned kernel during this boot.
Target system was up and running. No more hangs and crashes in the GUI. Installed FEL Packages in the system. Running well.